These egg and sausage-filled burritos can be served either for breakfast (as the name implies) or alongside a salad for a quick, light dinner. The filling is a simple mixture of breakfast sausage, red and green bell pepper, onion, eggs, sour cream and shredded cheese.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
Country Style Breakfast Burritos
An easy dish of flour tortillas filled with a mixture of creamy scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, onion, red and green bell pepper and sautéed breakfast sausage.
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 lb breakfast sausage, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red and/or green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 8- inch flour tortillas
- Tightly wrap the tortillas in alumninum foil and place them in a warm oven (200°F) while you prepare the filling.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Combine the sour cream and heavy cream in a small bowl until smooth, then whisk into the eggs. Stir in the shredded cheese and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a large nonstick pan. Add the sausage and sauté until lightly browned and cooked through. Drain any excess fat from the pan, then add the onion and bell pepper. Continue cooking until the onion and bell pepper begin to caramelize, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and pour the eggs over the sausage-pepper mixture. Allow them to set for 1 minute before stirring. Using a heat-resistant rubber spatula, stir the mixture slowly so the eggs form large, soft curds as they cook. As soon as all the liquid has solidified, remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand for 1 minute.
- To serve, lay a tortilla on a plate and place an oblong portion of the egg mixture in the center, staying about 1-inch from the edge. Top with some chopped tomato and freshly ground black pepper. Fold in the sides of the tortilla first, then roll up gently.
Have you tried this recipe?Did you add your own special touch? We’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a rating to share your thoughts with others.
Leave a Reply