This is one of our favorite noodle side dishes because it works so well with a wide variety of main courses. Fresh chives and sautéed shallots give it a subtle onion flavor and the combination of cottage cheese and sour cream adds creamy texture without the heavy richness of mac and cheese. Great served with meatloaf, roast chicken, pan-fried pork chops or broiled fish.
Cottage Cheese-Chive Noodles
A small cut of pasta like elbows combined with a light sauce of sour cream, sautéed shallots, cottage cheese and fresh chives makes a quick, easy side dish.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 10 ounces elbow macaroni (or other small cut of pasta)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cottage cheese in a small bowl and set aside to come to room temperature. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until soft and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a gentle simmer, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions and add to the shallot-sour cream mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the cottage cheese and chives, combine well, adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve immediately.