The spicy-sweet flavor of cardamom adds a fragrant note to a more or less traditional apple pie filling. The buttery, nutty crunch of the walnut-streusel topping is a contrast to the apples, both in flavor and in texture. Serve slightly warmed with a creamy vanilla bean ice cream and you have comfort food at its finest.
Cinnamon-Cardamom Apple Pie With Walnut Streusel Topping
- 1 single pie crust, your favorite recipe
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with a single crust prepared according to your favorite recipe. Prick the crust with a fork. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the granulated and brown sugars, cinnamon, cardamom and salt, breaking up any lumps in the brown sugar. Place the apples in a large bowl and add the sugar mixture. Toss to coat thoroughly then add the flour and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add the apples to the pie, arranging in an even layer, mounded slightly toward the center. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife.
- While the pie is baking, mix the crushed cornflakes, flour, sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and cardamom in a small bowl. Add in the melted butter and combine throroughly.
- Remove the pie from the oven after 25 minutes, but don’t turn off the oven. Spread the streusel mixture over the top of the pie as evenly as possible.
- If the edges of the crust are already golden brown, shield them with aluminum foil before returning the pie to the oven. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the topping is bubbling and beginning to turn golden.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool on a rack before slicing. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.