Subtly flavored with orange zest and a splash of orange liqueur, these twice-baked, Italian cookies are dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with crushed pine nuts for a unique finishing touch.
What Are Biscotti?
Biscotti (singular biscotto) are Italian cookies made by forming the dough into a small loaf, baking it, then slicing the loaf and baking those slices a second time.
This double baking process gives biscotti a solid, crunchy texture that makes them perfect for dipping into a cup of espresso or glass of dessert wine.
Chocolate Dipped Orange Biscotti
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, or 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Zest of 1 large orange, about 1-1/2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, vanilla, orange liqueur, and orange zest and beat until light and smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and combine gently with a spatula, just until mixed.
- Dust the parchment-lined baking sheet with a generous amount of flour and spoon the dough onto it in two equal portions.
- With well-floured hands, form each portion into a 12 x 2-inch log. Smooth and shape the logs evenly, flouring your hands again if needed.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, turning the pan once, midway through to ensure even cooking. The logs will be light golden brown and just starting to crack on top when done.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 7 to 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each log into 3/8-inch thick slices.
- Line the baking sheet with a fresh sheet of parchment and arrange the biscotti about 1/2-inch apart. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven, flip them over, then bake for an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Working one biscotti at a time, dip one end into the melted chocolate, place, cut side up on the wax paper and sprinkle immediately with some chopped pine nuts.
- Repeat with the remaining biscotti and allow the chocolate to harden completely before storing or serving.