Our chipotle-flavored wet rub is perfect for those nights when you really want to grill a steak, but didn’t get a chance to marinate in advance. Just 30 minutes at room temperature is enough time for this combination of chipotle pepper sauce, Worcestershire and garlic to infuse an already tender cut of beef like NY strip steaks with a light smoky flavor and subtle heat.Print
Chipotle-Seasoned Grilled Strip Steaks
Elevate the flavor of a tender cut of steak like New York strip in just 30 minutes with this quick-to-fix wet rub made with chipotle pepper sauce, garlic and Worcestershire.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 4 New York strip steaks (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1–1/2 teaspoons chipotle pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, chipotle pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Add a few grinds of black pepper and mix well.
- Arrange the steaks on a platter and, using the tip of a paring knife, prick some holes over the surface of the steak and in the fat around the edges. Turn the steaks over and repeat the process.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the wet rub onto each steak and rub it in to the meat with the back of the spoon. Turn the steaks and repeat with the remaining rub.
- Set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side, turn and grill an additional 2 to 3 minutes on the second side depending on desired doneness.
- We find that 4 to 5 minutes total cooking time gives us a perfect, medium rare steak, but everyone’s grill is different. Watch your steaks carefully to avoid overcooking.
- Allow the steaks to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with a side dish of sautéed onions and mushrooms spiked with a dash of both the chipotle pepper sauce and the Worcestershire. Add a simple green vegetable like steamed green beans or a salad to finish off the meal.