Chipotle Crab Cakes w/Jalapeño-Honey Mayo
A perfect blend of smoky, spicy, sweet and tangy flavors, these crab cakes are made with lump crabmeat, scallions, cilantro, chipotle chiles and lime and served with a light, flavorful combination of mayonnaise, chopped jalapeños, honey and fresh lime zest.
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, pureéd (about 1-1/2 tablespoons)
- 2 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups panko crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Jalapeño-Honey Mayo:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the crabmeat in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, mayonnaise, chipotle purée, scallions, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Combine thoroughly, then add the panko crumbs in 1/2 cup increments until the mixture reaches a consistency that will hold together when formed into patties.
- Gently pack some of the mixture into a 1/4 cup measure that has been sprayed with nonstick coating. Turn it upside down and tap gently until the formed crab cake comes out; then, using your hands, gently firm the patty and place on a tray. Repeat with the remaining crab mixture and refrigerate the formed patties for minimum of one hour.
- While the crab cakes are chilling, make the Jalapeno-Honey Mayo. Place the mayo, jalapeño, onion, garlic, honey, lime zest and salt in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and chill.
- To fry the crab cakes, heat 1/4-inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches to avoid over-crowding the pan, fry the crab cakes until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm while cooking the remaining batches.
- Serve with Jalapeño-Honey Mayo.