This is an easy, quick, budget-friendly meal using farm-raised catfish and the pungent flavor of salt and vinegar potato chips. You really don't need anything else to season the fish but a squeeze of lemon and our simple homemade cocktail sauce.Print
Chip-Crusted Oven-Fried Catfish
This simple meal of salt and vinegar chip-crusted catfish is quick to prepare, inexpensive and delicious.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 medium-sized catfish fillets (about 1 to 1-1/4 lbs)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 cups crushed salt and vinegar potato chips (about 1/2 of a 9-ounce bag)
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the cocktail sauce:
- 3/4 cup store-bought chili sauce (we like Heinz)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons to 1-1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Prepare the cocktail sauce by placing the chili sauce in a small bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and add horseradish to taste. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Spread the flour on a sheet of wax paper and lightly dredge each catfish fillet, shaking off any excess.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a shallow dish.
- Combine the crushed chips and panko on a sheet of wax paper.
- Dip the floured catfish fillets in the egg mixture, then coat with crumbs, gently pressing the mixture onto the fish to be sure it adheres well.
- Arrange the fillets in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the fish is opaque and cooked through. Time will depend on the thickness of the fillets.
- Plate the fillets, drizzle with fresh lemon juice and serve with the cocktail sauce.
This recipe tastes great with our Homemade Tartar Sauce too!