Quick-cooking chicken tenderloins, shredded and combined with crumbled bacon, minced shallots and a light sour cream and mayo dressing make an exceptionally tender chicken salad that’s loaded with flavor and easy to prepare.Print
Chicken Salad with Bacon
This easy chicken salad recipe gets a big boost in flavor from the addition of crumbled bacon and minced shallots.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 cups
- Category: Salads
- 3/4 lb chicken tenderloins
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (reduced fat is okay)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (reduced fat is okay)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- If necessary, trim the white tendons from the ends of the tenderloins, then season on both sides with salt and pepper. Place them in a shallow frying pan, add the chicken broth, cover and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes, or until all traces of pink are gone. Be careful not to overcook. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and as soon as it’s is cool enough to handle, use two forks (or your hands) to shred the meat.
- In the bottom of a mixing bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, shallot and parsley together until well combined.
- Add the shredded chicken, bacon and celery and mix well. If the mixture seems a little dry, add a small amount of the broth you cooked the tenderloins in. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve on toasted bread or crackers.