Elevate the flavor of classic, mayo-based chicken salad by using moist and juicy chicken tenderloins and mixing in some crumbled bacon and minced shallots.
Quick-cooking chicken tenderloins, shredded and combined with crumbled bacon, minced shallots and a light sour cream and mayo dressing make an exceptionally tender chicken salad that's loaded with flavor and easy to prepare.
Our favorite way to serve it is on toasted sourdough bread with crisp, fresh romaine, but if you want to skip the carbs, put a scoop on top of a lightly dressed garden salad instead.
- 3/4 lb chicken tenderloins
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (reduced fat is okay)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (reduced fat is okay)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- If necessary, trim the white tendons from the ends of the tenderloins, then season on both sides with salt and pepper. Place them in a shallow frying pan, add the chicken broth, cover and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes, or until all traces of pink are gone. Be careful not to overcook. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and as soon as it's is cool enough to handle, use two forks (or your hands) to shred the meat.
- In the bottom of a mixing bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, shallot and parsley together until well combined.
- Add the shredded chicken, bacon and celery and mix well. If the mixture seems a little dry, add a small amount of the broth you cooked the tenderloins in. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve on toasted bread or crackers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 88mg Sodium: 402mg Carbohydrates: 2g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 31g