This is an easy yet sophisticated chicken dish with a subtle Southern French flare. It’s made with tender, boneless chicken breasts that have been dredged in seasoned flour, lightly browned, then simmered in fresh tomato sauce flavored with garlic, white wine and herbes de Provence.
Served over rice, it makes a delicious dinner that’s easy enough for a weeknight meal, yet elegant enough to serve for company.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
Chicken and Rice Provencal
An easy yet elegant chicken and rice recipe made with boneless chicken breasts, fresh tomatoes, garlic, white wine and herbes de Provence.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons herbes de Provence, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 to 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place each breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound gently to a thickness of about 1/2-inch.
- In a shallow dish (a pie plate works well), combine the flour with 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, 3 teaspoons herbes de Provence and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Film the bottom of a large, heavy skillet with olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until barely golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic. Sauté until fragrant, 1/2 to 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom. Add the tomatoes and the remaining herbes de Provence.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add a bit more of the herbes de Provence if desired.
- Return the chicken to the pan and spoon some of the tomato mixture over each piece. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Place the rice in a serving dish and top with the chicken breasts. Stir the scallions into the tomato sauce, cook for 1 minute, then add the parsley.
- Spoon the tomatoes over the chicken and serve immediately.
Chicken and Rice Provencal
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Have you tried this recipe?Did you add your own special touch? We’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a rating to share your thoughts with others.
Leave a Reply