Flavored from the inside out with a delicate herb-butter, our Chicken Kiev recipe is lightly browned in oil then baked in the oven to make a deliciously moist and buttery finished dish.
Although it may be named for the capital of Ukraine, this classic chicken dish is actually of French origin. Chicken Kiev is a boneless chicken breast, pounded thin, rolled around herb-flavored butter then covered in breadcrumbs and fried and/or baked.
The butter and herbs infuse the chicken from the inside out, resulting in a deliciously moist and delicately flavored dish that's sure to become a family favorite.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lbs)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-1/4 cups dry breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
For the herb-butter:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Start by preparing the herb butter. Place the softened butter in a small bowl. Add the shallot, chives, parsley, tarragon, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine thoroughly, then transfer the mixture to a sheet of wax paper. Shape the butter into a rectangle about 2 inches wide by 4 inches long and smooth with the spatula to a uniform thickness. Wrap tightly and place in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- While the butter chills, gently pound the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Season on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Remove the butter from the freezer and cut into four 2 x 1-inch pieces. Place one piece of butter in the center of each chicken breast, then roll as tightly as possible, tucking in the sides of the breast as best you can. Place the rolls seam side down on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a shallow dish and spread the breadcrumbs on a dinner plate.
- Carefully coat each piece of chicken with the egg mixture, then roll in the crumbs, patting gently to help them adhere.
- Cover the bottom of a large nonstick pan with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add 2 pieces of chicken and turning carefully with tongs, cook until light golden on all sides, about 3 minutes total. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 195mg Carbohydrates: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 44g