Chicken with Fresh Orange and Fig Pan Sauce
Quick-cooking, boneless chicken breasts get a fabulous flavor boost from this easy pan sauce made with fresh figs, oranges, orange zest, rosemary and shallots.
- 1-1/4 lbs boneless chicken breast (4 pieces)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 6 medium fresh figs, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh orange segments, chopped
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place the breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them to a uniform thickness of 1/2-inch. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Spread the flour on a sheet of wax paper, lightly dredge the chicken breasts and shake off any excess flour.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until pale golden, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the shallots and sauté until soft and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, orange zest and rosemary. Bring the mixture to a simmer, add the figs and orange segments, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook until the figs are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and, using tongs, turn the pieces several times to coat them with the sauce. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens slightly and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes longer.
- Arrange the chicken on a serving platter and spoon the sauce over top. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or buttered orzo.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 447 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 128mg Sodium: 218mg Carbohydrates: 30g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 16g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 47g