Boneless chicken breasts topped with a simple pan sauce is one of our favorite choices for a weeknight dinner. This recipe combines sautéed red onion, sour cream and fresh dill to make a light and creamy sauce for topping both the chicken and a simple side like egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Combine the flour, salt and a few grinds of black pepper in a shallow dish and set aside.
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place the breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them to a uniform thickness of 1/2-inch.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
- Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat and coat the bottom with about 1/8-inch of vegetable oil. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until light golden in color, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and add a bit more oil if needed. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté the onion until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk the sour cream, chicken broth and vinegar together in a small bowl and add the mixture to the sautéed onion. Cook for 1 minute, then return the chicken to the pan.
- Continue cooking, turning several times, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter or individual plates.
- Add the fresh dill to the sauce, taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Cook for 1 minute, then spoon some of the sauce over the chicken and transfer the remainder to a small bowl to pass at the table for spooning over buttered noodles or mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 119mg Sodium: 643mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 42g