Chicken Soup with Collard Greens
This Southern-style soup, made with chicken, bacon, collard greens, sweet potatoes and black-eyed peas is a refreshing change from classic chicken noodle. It has a very subtle, smoky flavor that balances well with the collards and sweet potatoes.
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb fresh collard greens
- 2 to 3 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) low-sodium black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and cut them into 3/4-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Slice the stems from the collard greens, halve the leaves lengthwise and layer them in stacks of 6 or 7. Roll the leaves tightly from the short end, and slice them into ribbons about 1/4-inch wide. Set aside.
- Add the bacon to a soup pot and cook over medium-high heat until it begins to render its fat, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and continue sautéeing until all traces of pink are gone, 5 to 6 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, water, and black-eyed peas. Cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the collard greens and sweet potato and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Re-cover and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 662mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 11gSugar: 8gProtein: 38g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.