A spicy-sweet twist on a patty melt, this sandwich gets its unique flavor from mango chutney, curry powder, ginger and rich, creamy brie. Mild flavored ground chicken works with the spices and chutney without competing and we like pumpernickel bread for its rich coffee-like flavor and chewy texture, but feel free to use whatever bread you like.Print
Chicken-Chutney Patty Melts
A uniquely flavored take on a patty melt made with ground chicken, curry, ginger, mango chutney and brie.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney
- 4 ounces brie cheese
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 medium tomato, sliced into 8 thin slices
- 4 tablespoons butter
- About 45 minutes before serving, remove the brie from the refrigerator to soften.
- Combine the ground chicken, curry powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a bowl. Using your hands, mix thoroughly and form into four 3/8-inch thick patties.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken patties and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink in the middle, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Wipe out the pan.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of chutney on each of 4 slices of bread. Top each with 2 slices of tomato and season with a little salt and pepper. Place a chicken patty on each. Spread 1 ounce of brie on each of the 4 remaining slices of bread and complete the sandwiches.
- Butter the top of each sandwich with 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan over medium-high heat. Using a spatula, place the sandwiches, buttered side up in the pan. Cook until the bottom slice of bread is toasted, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwich over and gently compress using the back of a spatula. Cook until the bread is toasted on the other side and the brie has melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve with additional chutney for dipping.
This sandwich would be equally tasty with jalapeño jelly, ginger preserves or apricot preserves in place of the mango chutney.