Chicken Cacciatore, or Hunter-Style Chicken, is a simple, peasant-style combination of chicken flavored with onion and garlic and simmered in a light, white wine and tomato sauce.
The word “cacciatore” means “hunter” in Italian, thus the name Chicken Cacciatore translates to Hunter-Style Chicken. The simple, peasant-style nature of the dish lends itself well to regional variations.
Our recipe is an adaptation of the version from the Toscana region of Italy that includes a handful of olives in addition to traditional ingredients like tomatoes, onion, garlic and white wine.
- 1 3-1/2 to 4 lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 16 large whole olives, assorted black and green
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, brown the chicken, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Drain some of the fat from the pan, leaving about 3 tablespoons. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking 1 minute longer. Deglaze with the wine, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, oregano and thyme leaves and bring the mixture to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the olives and return the chicken to the pan.
- Turn the pieces several times to coat them with the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter, raise the heat on the sauce and simmer until slightly thickened 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Pour the sauce over chicken and serve with pasta, garlic bread or Creamy Mashed Potatoes.