Boneless chicken breasts topped with a simple pan sauce are a favorite in our kitchen for weeknight meals. The sauce in this recipe has a hint of sweetness from the combination of balsamic vinegar and raisins and a nutty richness from the pine nuts. Serve with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and a green vegetable for a well-rounded, easy dinner.Print
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Place the raisins in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place the breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound to an even thickness of about 1/2-inch. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, dredge in flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, 2-1/2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely to keep warm.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan along with the pine nuts and cook until they are lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes (watch carefully). Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic and sauté until barely golden, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, balsamic vinegar and raisins bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue cooking until the liquid has reduced slightly, about 2 minutes, then return the chicken to the pan. Turn the chicken breasts several times to coat them with sauce, then transfer to a serving platter. Add the pine nuts to the sauce, stir to coat, then spoon the mixture over the chicken. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired.
- Category: Main Dishes