Authentic andouille sausage is a specialty of Cajun cuisine. It is a spicy smoked pork sausage often used to flavor gumbos and jambalayas. In our chicken and andouille stew, it brings a smoky heat to the dish that is nicely balanced by the sweetness of the bell pepper and the accompanying creamy polenta.Print
Chicken and Andouille Stew
This simple Cajun-inspired stew combines tender chunks of chicken with andouille sausage, red bell pepper, diced tomatoes and green onions. Served over creamy polenta or steamed rice, the dish has the perfect balance of spicy, sweet and smoky flavors.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 links andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Creamy Polenta
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge lightly in flour. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the andouille and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until it has rendered a little of its fat.
- Add the bell pepper and continue cooking until crisp tender, 3 minutes longer.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and return the chicken to the pan.
- Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly and the chicken and sausages are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions and simmer for an additional minute, then add the parsley.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed, remove from the heat and serve immediately over polenta or steamed rice.