The sour cream in these fresh cherry and almond muffins adds a little bit of tang and a moist, tender texture.
The delicious, nutty flavor of the almonds blends beautifully with the mildly sweet and tart cherries, and the addition of sour cream creates a delectable texture with just a hint of tang.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Thoroughly grease the cups of a standard-sized muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the egg-butter mixture and combine well.
- Add the milk, sour cream, vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix thoroughly - the batter will be relatively thick. Fold in the cherries, then divide the batter between the muffin cups. Each cup should be close to full.
- Combine the almonds and sugar (and cinnamon if desired) in a small bowl. Sprinkle some over each muffin.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then gently twist each muffin to remove and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.