Perfect for serving with a hearty bowl of soup or chili, these fluffy buttermilk biscuits are flavored with sharp cheddar cheese and basted with melted garlic butter just before serving.Print
Flavored with sharp cheddar cheese and basted with warm garlic butter, these fluffy buttermilk biscuits are the perfect accompaniment for soups and chili.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup finely-grated, sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
For the garlic butter:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Thoroughly combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or dinner fork, until the texture is relatively fine with scattered, pea-sized lumps of butter.
- Mix in the grated cheddar, then add the buttermilk and stir until the mixture forms a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured board board and knead until smooth. Divide into eight equal sections and gently form them into round biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden, 16 to 20 minutes.
- While the biscuits bake, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and keep warm to allow the flavor to develop.
- Once the biscuits are baked, stir in the chopped parsley, then brush the butter over the tops of the biscuits. Let stand for a minute or two to allow the butter to soak in. Serve warm.