Flavored with sharp cheddar cheese and basted with warm garlic butter, these fluffy buttermilk biscuits are the perfect accompaniment for soups and chili.
Buttery, cheesy, and delightfully garlicky, these biscuits are sure to become a staple in your baking repertoire.
The recipe is a copycat version of Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits, and they make a great accompaniment to more than just seafood.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup grated, sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
For the garlic butter:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Thoroughly combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or dinner fork, until the texture is relatively fine with scattered, pea-sized lumps of butter.
- Mix in the grated cheddar, then add the buttermilk and stir until the mixture forms a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured board board and knead until smooth. Divide into eight equal sections and gently form them into round biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden, 16 to 20 minutes.
- While the biscuits bake, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and keep warm to allow the flavor to develop.
- Once the biscuits are baked, stir in the chopped parsley, then brush the butter over the tops of the biscuits. Let stand for a minute or two to allow the butter to soak in. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 237mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g