Cauliflower, Bacon and Tomato Medley
This easy, flavorful medley starts with cauliflower florets simmered until crisp-tender with lightly sautéed onion and garlic, cider vinegar and a bit of sugar, then adds grape (or cherry) tomatoes, bacon and fresh parsley to finish the dish. It makes a delicious accompaniment for grilled pork or barbecued chicken and can be served either warm or at room temperature.
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4-1/2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Fry the bacon in a large, heavy skillet until crisp, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan. Add the vegetable oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 1 minute longer. Add the cauliflower, water, vinegar and sugar. Combine well, season with salt and pepper and cover.
- Cook until the cauliflower is barely tender when pierced with a knife, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the pan and add the tomatoes and parsley. Toss gently, then taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 11mg Sodium: 292mg Carbohydrates: 18g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g