Cauliflower, Apple and Blue Cheese Casserole
Cauliflower is one of our favorite vegetables because it pairs so well with so many different flavors. This recipe combines crumbled blue cheese, apples, toasted panko crumbs and butter for an easy side dish that goes well with a wide variety of main courses like roast chicken or pork, grilled steak or broiled fish.
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (2 medium heads fresh or two 16-ounce bags frozen)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Place the cauliflower in a large pot fitted with a steamer rack and add about 1/2-inch of water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-high and steam until tender, 8 to 12 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 4 minutes. Add the apples and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Add the cauliflower and panko crumbs, season to taste with salt and pepper and combine well. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and top with the blue cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown.
Variation: If desired, add 2 to 3 strips of bacon, crumbled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 576mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 12g