Skip the takeout and make this healthy, economical version of Chinese cashew chicken. Our easy stir-fry recipe yields juicy chicken, crisp-tender veggies and a tasty sauce with a hint of orange flavor that’s perfect for spooning over steamed white rice.
- 1-1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sherry or Chinese rice wine
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 ribs celery, sliced on the bias
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews (preferably unsalted)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the excess fat from the chicken thighs and cut them into bite-sized pieces. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sherry, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Add the chicken, combine thoroughly and set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, water and sriracha. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add the chicken, stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the garlic and broccoli florets.
- Continue stir-frying until the chicken is golden, about 2 minutes, then add the red bell pepper. Stir-fry 1 minute longer, then stir in the orange juice mixture, celery, scallions and cashews. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Continue cooking until the sauce has thickened, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and serve over steamed white rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 770mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.