This salad recipe combines carrots spiced with cinnamon, chopped dried apricots and a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, honey. It’s a great cold side dish to accompany grilled chicken or pork, or Moroccan-inspired dishes like our Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce or Broiled Lamb Kabobs with Chunky Tomato-Olive Salad.Print
Carrot Salad with Apricots and Cinnamon
A salad of shredded carrots lightly spiced with cinnamon and tossed in a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and honey makes a nice accompaniment for grilled chicken, pork or Moroccan style cuisine.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups
- 1 lb carrots
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the carrots and either process them using the shredding disk of a food processor, or grate them using the largest holes on a box grater.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots and apricots. In a separate dish, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, garlic and cinnamon. Pour over the carrots and toss to coat completely. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
You can substitute fresh apricots for the dried if they’re in season, although you may want to add a touch more honey if the fruit is a bit tart. Golden raisins can be substituted too – just soak them for a few minutes in warm water to plump them.