These tasty grilled turkey burgers are seasoned with our own blend of Caribbean-inspired spices and topped with a fresh pineapple and sweet bell pepper salsa. Their sweet-and-spicy flavor profile goes perfectly with a side of oven-fried sweet potatoes to make a light and easy meal.Print
Caribbean Turkey Burgers with Pineapple-Pepper Salsa
These grilled turkey burgers are flavored with a homemade, Caribbean-style seasoning blend and topped with a quick-to-fix pineapple and sweet bell pepper salsa.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon panko crumbs
- 4 slices fresh tomato
- 4 hamburger rolls, lightly toasted
For the Caribbean seasoning:
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
For the salsa:
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 cup orange bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion, finely chopped
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat.
- Prepare the seasoning blend by combining the salt, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl (makes about 2-1/2 teaspoons).
- Place the ground turkey in a mixing bowl and add the mayonnaise, panko and 1-1/2 teaspoons of the seasoning blend. Combine thoroughly and form the mixture into 4 equal-sized patties.
- Add the pineapple, bell pepper and onion to a small bowl. Add the remaining teaspoon of seasoning blend and combine well. Set aside.
- Liberally oil the grill grates and add the turkey burgers. Grill until cooked through (internal temperature of 165°F), 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the burgers to a platter and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To serve, add a slice of tomato to the bottom of each toasted roll, top with a turkey burger and spoon some of the salsa on top. Pass the remaining salsa at the table.