This simple Cajun style pasta gets its distinctive flavor from andouille sausage, a spicy, smoked pork sausage frequently used in dishes like gumbo and jambalaya. Combined with shredded chicken tenders, fresh tomatoes, green pepper and your favorite cut of pasta, the recipe makes a fast and easy one-dish meal.Print
Cajun Style Pasta Toss
This Cajun-style, one-dish dinner is a robustly flavored combination of pasta, andouille sausage, shredded chicken, green pepper and fresh tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces pasta (campanelle, rotini, shells)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 lb chicken tenderloins
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 links fully-cooked andouille sausage, quartered lengthwise and diced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter, season lightly with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Trim any white tendons from the chicken tenderloins and season them on both sides with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, add the chicken and cook for 1 minute per side. Add the chicken broth, cover and cook until the tenderloins are no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and pour the broth into a small bowl. As soon as the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Return the pan to the stove over medium heat and add the sausage. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the green pepper is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking just until the tomatoes are wilted, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the reserved chicken and broth along with the pasta and scallions. Combine well, taste for seasoning and continue cooking just until the pasta and chicken are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.