Buttery Spritz Cookies
Rich, buttery spritz cookies are a classic favorite, and with the help of cookie press, you can easily make a big batch for gift giving and entertaining.
What are Spritz Cookies?
Spritz cookies are Scandinavian butter cookies made into various shapes by forcing the dough through a cookie press. The word spritz comes from the German word spritzen, which means to squirt or spray.
This is a very basic recipe for spritz cookies and with the help of a decent cookie press, you can whip up a large quantity of these buttery treats and wrap them up as gifts or serve them throughout the holidays when friends and family stop by.
These cookies are flavored with a hefty dose of vanilla extract, but you could use less and supplement with either almond, orange or lemon extract to switch it up a bit.
A Word About Cookie Presses
A cookie press only costs about $20, and working with them takes a little practice, but the cookies it produces are so pretty, it’s well worth the expense and effort. And, in addition to sweet recipes like this one, you can also go savory and whip up some cheese crackers.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Colored decorating sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Add the salt, egg, and vanilla and beat until well combined. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix in the flour until thoroughly blended.
- Gently form the dough into a log shape.
- Following the manufacturer's instructions, fill a cookie press with the dough (you will probably need to work in several batches) and dispense the cookies at least 1 inch apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden.
- As soon as the cookies are removed from the oven, sprinkle with colored sugars and cool on wire racks.
- Store spritz cookies in an airtight container, up to 3 days at room temperature, 1 week refrigerated or 1 month frozen.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.