Buttery Spritz Cookies
This is a basic recipe for pressed spritz cookies. With the help of a decent cookie press and a little bit of practice, you can whip up a large quantity of these buttery treats for gift giving or entertaining with minimal effort.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Colored decorating sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Add the salt, egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix in the flour until thoroughly blended.
- Gently form the dough into a log shape. Following the manufacturer's instructions, fill a cookie press with the dough (you will probably need to work in several batches) and dispense the cookies at least 1 inch apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden. Sprinkle with colored sugars and cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container, up to 3 days at room temperature, 1 week refrigerated or 1 month frozen.