This light, tasty pasta toss combines diced chicken breasts, fresh grape tomatoes and scallions sautéed in butter to make a quick, easy main dish that’s perfect for a weeknight meal.Print
Buttery Penne with Chicken and Tomatoes
This flavorful combination of diced chicken breasts, sweet tomatoes and scallions sautéed in butter makes a light, easy weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 10 ounces penne
- 1 to 1-1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter (plus more if needed)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 to 8 scallions, roughly chopped
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them to an even thickness of 1/2-inch. Slice them lengthwise into strips, then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl, add the olive oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Toss to coat and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the butter, reduce the heat to medium and stir until melted. Add the tomatoes and scallions. Continue cooking just long enough for the tomatoes to wilt slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions. Add to the chicken mixture and toss to combine. Add a little more butter or olive oil if needed and adjust the seasoning to taste.