These easy chicken sandwiches, topped with a blue cheese sauce, capture all the essential flavors of buffalo wings. The chicken breasts are braised in a combination of butter and hot sauce, so they turn out exceptionally tender and moist, and the braising sauce can be made mild enough to suit those who aren't loving a lot of heat. Just put the hot sauce on the table for anyone who likes some extra kick.Print
Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
A boneless chicken sandwich that captures all the essential flavors of buffalo wings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 hard sandwich rolls
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 thin slices sweet onion
For the blue cheese sauce:
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (or 2 tablespoons each milk and sour cream)
- 4 to 5 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the blue cheese sauce by combining the mayonnaise, buttermilk (or milk/sour cream combo), blue cheese, garlic and a few grinds of black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound to a uniform thickness of about 1/2-inch. Cut into 4 equal portions.
- Combine the flour and salt in a shallow dish and dredge the chicken, shaking off the excess. Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until light golden in color, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and whisk the hot sauce (start with a small amount – you can always add more) and chicken broth into the butter and pan juices. Combine well and reduce the heat to low.
- Return the chicken to the pan, cover and cook for 15 minutes, turning several times to coat the chicken with the hot sauce mixture.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place some lettuce on the bottom of a roll, top with chicken, onion, tomato and blue cheese dressing. Serve with celery sticks and cucumber spears.