Fresh jalapeños, scallions, garlic and lime combine with lean ground buffalo to make these tasty pan-seared burgers topped with pepper jack cheese, sliced avocado and tomato. Buffalo is a very lean meat, but when cooked over medium heat the burgers turn out juicy and tender, and their rich, meaty flavor really stands up to the flavorful mix-ins and toppings.Print
Buffalo Burgers with Jalapeño, Lime and Avocado
Lean ground buffalo burgers flavored with jalapeño, garlic, scallions and lime and topped with slices of avocado, tomato and pepper jack cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb ground buffalo
- 4 sandwich rolls, sliced
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon panko
- 1/2 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and arrange the rolls, cut side up on a baking sheet. Top half of each roll with a slice of cheese and set aside.
- Place the buffalo in a large mixing bowl and add the mayonnaise, garlic, jalapeño, scallions, lime zest, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Combine gently and form the mixture into 4 equal-sized patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until barely pink in the center, 3-1/2 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and allow to rest while you toast the rolls.
- Place the rolls in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese, 3 to 4 minutes. To serve, place a slice of tomato on the bottom half of each roll, top with a burger and several slices of avocado.
Adjust the amount of chopped jalapeño you add to the meat mixture according to your taste and how spicy the pepper jack cheese you’re using is.