Broiled Fish Tostadas
Served on oven-crisped corn tortillas, these simple but tasty fish tostadas are made with layers of mashed avocado, quick homemade slaw, broiled fish, fresh cilantro and a sprinkling of scallions. We chose tilapia because it’s economical and easy to find, but any mild white fish suitable for broiling will work just as well.
Broiled Fish Tostadas
- 3/4 lb mild white fish fillets, tilapia, catfish, cod
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ground cumin
- Ground coriander
- Chili powder
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, then place the tortillas directly on the oven rack and bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the tortillas and set aside. Switch the oven from bake to broil and preheat for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper and a light dusting of ground cumin, ground coriander and chili powder. Line a broiler pan with foil and coat with nonstick spray. Arrange the fish in a single layer and set aside until you’ve prepared the avocado and slaw.
- Place the shredded cabbage in a bowl, add the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of the minced garlic. Toss and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Halve the avocados lengthwise, remove the pits and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add the remaining lime juice and garlic, mash to desired consistency (we like to leave it a bit chunky) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the fish under the broiler and cook until it flakes easily with a fork, 4 to 6 minutes. Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your fish. If your fish is more than 1/2-inch thick, carefully turn it over halfway through the broiling time to ensure even cooking.
- Allow the fish to cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then break it into large chunks with a fork.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread a portion of avocado on each tortilla and top with slaw, chunks of fish and a sprinkling of chopped scallions and cilantro leaves. Serve with a wedge of lime.