Buttery Pecan Cookies Spiked With Bourbon
Topped with easy-to-make candied pecans, these buttery, shortbread-style cookies feature a hint of bourbon flavor and a light, crisp texture.
We find the subtle oak, caramel and vanilla flavors in bourbon make it the perfect liquor to bake with, particularly when you pair it with another favorite Southern ingredient like pecans.Print
Bourbon-Pecan Butter Cookies
These buttery shortbread-style cookies are flavored with a splash of bourbon and topped with candied pecans.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1-1/2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the candied pecans:
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the candied pecans first. Combine the light brown sugar, water and salt in a 2-cup, microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Add the pecans and stir to coat.
- Microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes, stir and return to the microwave for an additional minute.
- If necessary, continue microwaving the nuts in 10 second increments until the sugar has developed a thick, taffy-like consistency. Do not overcook!
- Transfer the nuts to a parchment-lined plate and use two forks to separate them. The coating will harden as the nuts cool.
- To make the cookies, use an electric mixer on medium speed to cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and bourbon and continue mixing until smooth.
- Stir in the flour until well blended, then gather the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll into a log about 1-3/4 inches in diameter by 10 inches long. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and using a sharp knife (not serrated), cut into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Place the slices 2 inches apart on the parchment-lined sheets and bake until the cookies are set but not browned, 8 to 9 minutes,.
- Remove from the oven and gently press a candied pecan into the center of each. Carefully transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.