These buttery, shortbread-style cookies have a hint of bourbon flavor and are topped with easy-to-make, candied pecans.Print
Bourbon-Pecan Butter Cookies
A buttery, rich shortbread-style cookie flavored with a splash of bourbon and topped with a candied pecan.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1-1/2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until well blended. Add the egg yolks and bourbon and continue mixing until smooth. Stir in the flour until well blended, then gather the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes. /p>
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll into a log about 1-3/4 inches in diameter by 10 inches long. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Prepare the candied pecans by combining the light brown sugar, water and salt in a 2-cup, microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Add the pecans and stir to coat.
- Microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes, stir and return to the microwave for an additional minute. Continue microwaving in 15 second increments until the sugar has developed a thick, taffy-like consistency. Do not overcook. Transfer the nuts to a parchment-lined plate and use a fork to separate them as much as possible. Allow to cool completely.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and using a sharp knife (not serrated), cut it into 1/4-inch slices and place them 2 inches apart on the parchment-lined sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, until set but not browned. Remove from the oven and gently press a candied pecan into the center of each. Carefully transfer to wire racks to cool completely.