Served on a toasted sesame roll and topped with melted Muenster cheese, these tender sandwiches are filled with thin slices of seared New York strip steak, sautéed mushrooms, onions and a richly flavored bourbon-molasses sauce. The secret to their great taste is the brief cooking time for the sauce – just long enough to tame the alcohol while still retaining all that good bourbon flavor.Print
Bourbon-Molasses Steak Sandwiches
An upscale steak sandwich made with thinly sliced New York strip, sauteed onions and mushrooms, Muenster cheese and a flavorful bourbon-molasses sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 to 1-1/2 lbs New York Strip steaks
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 thick slices Muenster cheese
- 4 seeded sandwich rolls
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- Trim the excess fat from the steaks, slice them across the grain into thin strips and transfer to a small bowl. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and stir to coat.
- Prepare the sauce by combining the bourbon, molasses, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and ketchup until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mushrooms are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the bourbon-molasses sauce and cook, stirring often, for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan, add about a tablespoon of olive oil and raise the heat to medium-high. Add the steak and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, 2 to 2-1/2 minutes.
- Return the sauce mixture to the pan and combine well. Cook for 1 minute to heat through.
- Divide the steak between the 4 rolls and top with a slice of Muenster cheese. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.