Our Pumpkin Gingerbread Cake is a little like an upside-down crumb cake because a portion of the dry ingredients in this recipe are blended with butter and pressed into the bottom of the pan to create a crumbly crust.
Serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream and freshly grated nutmeg or vanilla ice cream.
Bourbon-Laced Pumpkin Gingerbread Cake
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter, 1 stick, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, ground walnuts, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter and blend until combined and crumbly.
- Scoop out a cup of the crumb mixture and gently press it into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Add the baking soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture and blend well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the molasses, pumpkin puree, egg, buttermilk, and bourbon. Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the batter evenly over the crumb mixture and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut into 2-inch squares and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.