Bourbon-Laced Pumpkin Gingerbread Cake
This easy-to-make pumpkin gingerbread cake is flavored with classic gingerbread spices and a splash of good Kentucky bourbon.
Our Pumpkin Gingerbread Cake is a little like an upside-down crumb cake because a portion of the dry ingredients in this recipe are blended with butter and pressed into the bottom of the pan to create a crumbly crust.
Serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream and freshly grated nutmeg or vanilla ice cream.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into 16 pieces
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, ground walnuts, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter and blend until combined and crumbly.
- Scoop out a cup of the crumb mixture and gently press it into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Add the baking soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture and blend well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the molasses, pumpkin puree, egg, buttermilk, and bourbon. Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the batter evenly over the crumb mixture and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut into 2-inch squares and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
For best flavor, be sure your ground spices are very fresh. Ground ginger loses its potency rather quickly, so buy small quantities and replace it frequently.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 177mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.