Blue Cheese, Mascarpone And Pear Bites
This recipe is a positively wonderful combination of cheese and fruit. A fresh, crusty baguette and ripe pears complement the blend of sharp blue cheese and creamy mascarpone to perfection. As you may have guessed, it is a pretty rich and filling appetizer, so serve sparingly if you want your guests to eat their meal!
- 1 French baguette
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled Maytag blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 ripe Anjou pears
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice sixteen 1/4-inch thick slices from the baguette and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush both sides of each baguette slice with butter. Bake until they turn a light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Combine the mascarpone cheese, blue cheese and lemon juice in a small bowl. Wash and core the pears with a paring knife, then slice each into 8 rounds.
- Place one pear round on each slice of toasted baguette, top with some of the cheese mixture and smooth with a knife to cover the pear slice evenly.
- Top each with a few slices of toasted almond, arrange on a platter and serve.