Our version of this time-tested Russian dish is purely American ~ a simple combination of sautéed slices of beef tenderloin, chopped onions and mushrooms, all coated with a light sauce of sour cream and fresh dill. It cooks up quickly and served over egg noodles, it makes a very easy, very delicious meal.Print
A quick and easy dinner that combines sautéed beef tenderloin, onions, mushrooms, sour cream and fresh dill served over egg noodles.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/4 lbs beef tenderloin, sliced into strips
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the egg noodles.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter along with the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking until any liquid they’ve given off has evaporated and both the onions and mushrooms are a light, golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- Cook and drain the egg noodles according to package directions. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, toss to coat and set aside.
- Using a slotted spatula, transfer the onion-mushroom mixture to a bowl.
- Raise the heat on the pan to medium-high, add the beef, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Quickly return the onions and mushrooms to the pan along with any juices that may have accumulated. Add the sour cream and most of the dill. Combine well, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- To serve, plate a portion of egg noodles, top with the stroganoff and garnish with a sprinkling of extra dill.