Barbecue Chicken Meatloaf
Made with ground chicken and all the ingredients of a homemade barbecue sauce, this meatloaf is a lighter, flavorful change from traditional recipes.
- Author: Lynne Webb
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, vinegar and smoked paprika in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Turn the mixture onto the prepared pan and form into a uniform loaf. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Make the topping by combining the ketchup, Worcestershire and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and spread the topping evenly over the top.
- Continue baking the meatloaf for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
This meatloaf can easily be made with ground beef, pork or turkey as well.