We use a special technique in our banana walnut muffins to make the most of a classic flavor pairing – bananas and nuts.
Instead of simply stirring in chopped walnuts, we’ve replaced a bit of the flour in our basic muffin recipe with finely ground walnuts and used brown sugar in place of granulated.
This method produces a light, tender muffin with a rich, nutty quality that complements the sweet banana flavor just perfectly.Print
These streusel-topped muffins are made with ground walnuts and brown sugar to give them a rich, nutty quality that pairs perfectly with the flavor of banana.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup finely ground walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup very ripe, mashed bananas (2 to 3)
For the streusel topping:
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon finely ground walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and either grease the bottoms of 12 standard-sized muffin cups or line them with papers. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel topping by combining the flour, ground walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Use a pastry blender or two forks to cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, brown sugar, ground walnuts, baking powder and salt together until well combined.
- In a separate, larger bowl whisk the milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla together until thoroughly blended. Add the flour mixture all at once and stir to combine. Do not overmix, it’s okay for the batter to be lumpy.
- Fold in the mashed banana and once again, don’t overmix. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups and top each with a portion of the streusel topping.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm with a pat of butter if desired.