This simple twist on baked ziti combines sautéed Swiss chard, artichokes and mozzarella cheese for a hearty, meatless meal. Generously flavored with garlic and onion, the chard and artichokes are a great combination. Serve with a salad for a well-rounded, easy dinner.Print
Baked Ziti with Swiss Chard and Artichokes
This easy, baked pasta dish is made with ziti, sautéed Swiss chard, garlic, onions, artichoke hearts and mozzarella cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 10 ounces ziti
- 1 lb Swiss chard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash and dry the Swiss chard, then remove the stems and chop them into 1-inch pieces. Set aside. Stack the leaves and cut them into 1-inch strips. Set aside separate from the stems. If necessary, cut your artichokes into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the ziti. Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 2-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until the mixture is just beginning to develop a golden color, then add the chard stems. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add the Swiss chard, a handful at a time, tossing to coat with the oil until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then add the artichokes and combine well.
- Cook the ziti according to package directions. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the cooking water. Add the ziti and reserved water to the chard mixture and toss to combine. Spread half of the pasta mixture in the bottom of the prepared casserole, sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese and repeat with remaining pasta and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and browned.