Sweet potatoes make a smooth, slightly sweet soup, perfect for a first course. The lime, ginger and cilantro in this recipe provide a tangy, fresh flavor that complements the creamy richness of the sweet potatoes nicely. Because there is practically no fat in this soup, it's equally delicious chilled.Print
Baked Sweet Potato And Ginger Soup
Smooth creamy sweet potato soup, flavored with fresh ginger, lime and cilantro is delicious served hot or cold.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped, divided
- 3–1/2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 lime wedges, for garnish
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Wash the sweet potatoes and prick them all over with the tines of a fork. Bake them until soft and tender, about 45 minutes.
- While the potatoes bake, heat the vegetable oil in a small soup pot over medium heat. Add the green onions, white parts only, and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add 3 teaspoons of the fresh ginger, saute until fragrant, about 1 additional minute, stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and continue cooking at a low simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender, remove from the oven and allow to cool enough to handle. Slice them in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and add it to the broth mixture. Allow the soup to cool slightly and process with an immersion or conventional blender until smooth and creamy. Stir in the freshly squeezed lime juice and remaining teaspoon of ginger. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup among serving bowls. Garnish each with a lime wedge, some of the cilantro and a dollop of yogurt.
For a variation, replace the lime juice with orange juice, add 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg and 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Omit the yogurt and cilantro.