The smoky heat of chipotle peppers is a delicious addition to mashed sweet potatoes. Combined with a little cinnamon, allspice and butter they become an outstanding, easy to prepare side dish that complements grilled meats, poultry and fish perfectly.Print
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and pierced with a fork
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wrap the sweet potatoes individually in foil and bake at 400°F for 50 minutes, or until very tender when pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes cook, add the chipotles, adobo sauce, cream, cinnamon and allspice to the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times until the mixture is a smooth puree.
- Once the potatotes are cooked, unwrap them and allow them to cool for several minutes. Slice them in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh out into a mixing bowl.Add the butter and mash with a large fork or potato masher until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the chipotle mixture. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.