- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, very finely chopped
- 1 28-oz can San Marzano tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade of fresh basil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly golden – do not brown. Add the tomatoes and their liquid and using a wooden spoon, break the tomatoes into small pieces. Bring the mixture to a simmer, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the crushed red pepper. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, just until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and add the basil.