Grouper is a mild, firm-fleshed fish that adapts well to a wide variety of accompanying flavors. Here we topped it with a medley of citrus zest, fresh cilantro and buttery cracker crumbs, then baked it. For this easy preparation, you could use just about any white fish that lends itself well to being baked and simply adjust the cooking time according to thickness.Print
Baked Grouper with Citrus-Cilantro Crumb Topping
An easy recipe for baked fish topped with a buttery crumb topping flavored with orange, lemon and lime zest and fresh cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1 lb grouper fillets (substitute cod, haddock, halibut)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs (buttery variety e.g. Ritz, Club)
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Orange slices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Arrange the fish fillets in a single layer in a shallow baking pan that’s been coated with nonstick spray. Season on both sides with salt and pepper, then drizzle with the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Combine the cracker crumbs, orange zest, lemon zest, lime zest and chopped cilantro in a small bowl. Add the melted butter and combine well. Spread a crust of the crumb mixture over the fish fillets and pat down lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until the fish is opaque throughout and flakes easily. Serve over orange slices if desired. Buttered Couscous with Scallions (see below) makes a nice accompaniment.
Buttered Couscous with Scallions:
In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, 1/4 cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons butter. Bring to a boil and stir in 1 cup couscous and 2 thinly sliced scallions. Remove from the heat immediately and cover tightly. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, fluff with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.