Bailey’s Butterscotch Pudding
An easy recipe for butterscotch pudding that uses a little Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur in place of some of the milk for added flavor.
Homemade pudding, when made with cornstarch, is a quick, easy and relatively foolproof dessert. For this recipe, we decided to jazz up a classic butterscotch pudding by replacing some of the milk with Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur.
The flavors blend beautifully, and the finished pudding is creamy, rich and delicious. If you prefer alcohol-free, check our recipe notes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream Liqueur
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Heat the butter, brown sugar and a pinch of salt in a nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is relatively smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place 1 cup of the milk, cream, Bailey's and vanilla in a measuring cup. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup of milk together. Add this mixture to the saucepan and combine with the sugar until smooth.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Slowly whisk in the Bailey's mixture and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until nicely thickened.
- Tip: One way to tell if you've achieved the right thickness is to hold your whisk a few inches above the pan and let ribbons of pudding drizzle back into the pan. If the ribbons remain visible on the surface of the pudding, you've got the right consistency.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to serving bowl or individual ramekins. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
For an alcohol-free version, simply replace the 1/4 cup of Bailey's with milk or cream. Either one is fine, it just depends on how rich you want the finished product to be.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 0gSugar: 36gProtein: 3g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.