The sweet, gingery flavor of the marinade on these scallops balances nicely with the smoky, salty flavor of the bacon, an absolutely delicious combination.
Be sure to watch the scallops carefully under the broiler though; by the time the bacon cooks through, they should be fully cooked. This is a very easy appetizer to prepare, but it does require last minute attention.
Bacon-Wrapped Scallop Rolls
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 8 slices bacon, cut into thirds
- 24 sea scallops, medium sized, about 1-inch diameter
- Preheat the broiler. Line a broiler pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick coating.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, mirin, brown sugar, and grated ginger until the sugar is dissolved. Add the scallops to the mixture and toss to coat well. Transfer the scallops to a plate.
- Place each scallop on one end of a piece of bacon and roll the bacon around it. Place on the prepared broiler pan and brush each scallop with some of the remaining soy-sugar mixture.
- Broil the scallops about 6-inches from the heat until the bacon begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully turn with tongs and return to the broiler for 3 minutes more. Insert a toothpick in each roll and serve immediately.