Bacon-Cheddar Chicken with Apple Butter Sauce
Pan-seared chicken breasts are topped with crispy bacon, melted cheddar cheese and a quick pan sauce made from apple butter, chicken broth and a splash of cider vinegar for a delectable entree.
Apple butter is a nice ingredient to have on hand. Not only is it a great spread for your morning toast, it can make a smooth pan sauce in a matter of minutes.
We spooned it over pan-seared chicken breasts that were topped with bacon and melted cheddar cheese for a really tasty, effortless entree. Serve with mashed potatoes and a green veggie for a complete meal.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 strips bacon, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pound the chicken breasts to a 3/8-inch thickness, season both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Fry the bacon until crisp, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and pour the excess fat from the pan.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat and add the chicken breasts. Cook, turning several times with tongs, until seared on both sides, 3 minutes total. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, apple butter and apple cider vinegar and continue cooking until bubbly and smooth.
- Return the chicken to the pan and continue cooking, turning several times to coat with the sauce, until no longer pink in the middle, about 2 minutes. Place a strip of bacon on top of each chicken breast and top with a portion of cheddar cheese. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand until the cheese has melted.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and spoon the sauce over top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 422mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 45g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.