Bacon, Apple and Cider-Caramelized Onion Pizza
This delicious pizza combines the smoky flavor of bacon with the sweetness of apples, caramelized onions and garlic, and the rich smoothness of cheddar and Havarti cheeses.
This pizza recipe is full of contrasting flavor combinations. The onions and sliced garlic develop a mellow sweetness that's accented by the cider, while the Granny Smith apples add a tart element.
Cheddar cheese adds a sharp bite, and the mild, smooth-melting Havarti pulls all the flavors together to create a truly mouth-watering pizza.
- 1/2 lb thick-sliced bacon (we used applewood smoked)
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 ounces Havarti cheese, grated
- Pizza dough for one 10 x 15-inch crust (see below)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fry the bacon in a large pan until thoroughly cooked but not overly crispy. Drain on paper towels, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the drippings for cooking the onions. Cut the bacon into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings over medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat. Season with about 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, until the onions are softened and starting to develop color.
- Add the garlic and the apple cider and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes more, until the cider has evaporated and the onions are golden brown. Stir in the apples and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the apples are soft. Taste the mixture and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Remove from the heat, add the bacon pieces, mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Roll the pizza dough into a 10 x 15-inch rectangle and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes, then re-stretch a bit if necessary. Brush the crust lightly with the vegetable oil and place in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until puffed and slightly crisped on the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and spread the onion, apple and bacon mixture over the top to within 1 inch of the edges. Sprinkle evenly with the grated cheddar and Havarti cheeses. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the crust is uniformly browned. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing.
1. If your pizza dough is refrigerated, bring to room temperature before using.
2. Place the Havarti cheese in the freezer for about 20 minutes for easier grating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 885mg Carbohydrates: 20g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 21g