Whole wheat toast topped with lightly seasoned mashed avocado and a poached egg makes a delicious, satisfying breakfast.
You may not think of avocados as a breakfast food, but this easy-to-make combination of whole wheat toast, mashed avocado and poached eggs is a tasty and satisfying treat that makes a nice change from more traditional morning fare.
- 1 medium, ripe Hass avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 poached eggs (see below)
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a small bowl. Add the lemon juice and hot sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread until lightly browned, then divide the avocado mixture between the 2 slices. Spread evenly, making a shallow well in the center for the eggs.
- Top each piece of toast with a poached egg, sprinkle with a little extra salt and pepper and serve immediately.
How To Make Poached Eggs:
- Crack each egg into a small prep bowl and set aside.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar and slowly the stir water to create a gentle whirlpool effect.
- Gently add an egg by dipping the side of the prep bowl into the water and sliding the egg out.
- For a runny yolk, cook for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes, then carefully remove the egg from the water using a slotted spoon. Touch the bottom of the spoon to a clean towel to wick away excess water and serve immediately.
Start with very fresh eggs and cook no more than one or two at a time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 185mg Sodium: 455mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 2g Protein: 12g