Avocado Egg Toast
The concept of avocado egg toast may be simple, but there’s no denying that it makes a deliciously satisfying meal at any time of day.
Often scoffed at for being the quintessential breakfast of the millenial generation, this simple combination of toast spread with mashed avocado topped with a perfectly poached egg is popular for a reason.
The secret to making avocado egg toast isn’t the type of bread you use or the way the avocado is seasoned, it’s the poached egg.
How to make poached eggs
- Start with very fresh eggs and cook no more than one or two at a time.
- Crack each egg into its own individual prep bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring some water to a rapid simmer (not a boil) over medium-high heat.
- Add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the water and stir to create a gentle whirlpool effect.
- Carefully add an egg by dipping the side of the prep bowl into the water and sliding the egg out.
- For a runny yolk, cook for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to carefully remove the egg from the water.
- Touch the bottom of the slotted spoon to a clean towel to absorb any excess water before serving.
Avocado egg toast isn’t the only iconic recipe that uses poached eggs. Now that you know how to make them, head on over to our Eggs Benedict recipe and step up your game by learning how to make Hollandaise Sauce!
Avocado egg toast add-ons
Although this dish is delicious in its simplest form, here are few ideas for add-ons you might want to try.
- Crumbled bacon (this one is a bit of a no-brainer)
- Smoked salmon
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Roasted red peppers
- Pickled onions
- 1 medium, ripe Hass avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 poached eggs (see below)
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a small bowl. Add the lemon juice and hot sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread until lightly browned, then divide the avocado mixture between the 2 slices. Spread evenly, making a shallow well in the center for the eggs.
- Top each piece of toast with a poached egg, sprinkle with a little extra salt and pepper and serve immediately.
How To Make Poached Eggs:
- Crack each egg into a small prep bowl and set aside.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar and slowly the stir water to create a gentle whirlpool effect.
- Gently add an egg by dipping the side of the prep bowl into the water and sliding the egg out.
- For a runny yolk, cook for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes, then carefully remove the egg from the water using a slotted spoon.
- Touch the bottom of the spoon to a clean towel to wick away excess water before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 7gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.