Bittersweet chocolate, spiced rum, pumpkin pie spice and cream cheese combine to make these delicious chocolate truffles.
They're as easy as can be and make a nice alternative dessert for a casual dinner party. For a great pairing, try them with a glass of Ruby Port or a medium-bodied dessert wine like Moscato.
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon spiced or dark rum
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Place the chopped bittersweet chocolate in a glass bowl or measuring cup and microwave at full power for one minute. Remove from microwave and stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the softened cream cheese in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer at high speed until smooth (about 15 seconds).
- Add the melted chocolate and beat again until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the cocoa powder, the pumpkin pie spice, rum and vanilla and 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar. Mix with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and combine thoroughly. The mixture will be very stiff at this point.
- Sift the remaining 1/4 cup of cocoa powder into a small shallow bowl. Form the truffle mixture into 1-inch balls and roll them in the cocoa powder to coat the outside.
- Place the truffles on your lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and firm.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
For a non-alcoholic version:
Replace the rum with 1/2 teaspoon rum extract mixed with 2-1/2 teaspoons water.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 17mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g