Steamed asparagus drizzled with a mixture of butter, lemon juice and lemon zest is a healthy, easy-to-prepare vegetable with bright, fresh flavor.Print
Asparagus with Lemon-Butter
A simple mixture of butter, lemon juice and lemon zest over steamed asparagus makes a flavorful, easy vegetable side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1–1/2 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 1/2-inch of water to a boil in the bottom of a pan outfitted with a steaming rack. Place the asparagus on the rack, cover and cook until bright green and tender when pierced with a sharp knife in the thickest part of the stalk, 6 to 9 minutes, depending on the thickness of the stalk.
- While the asparagus cooks, melt the butter in a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Plate the asparagus, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with the butter mixture.